Ever wanted to have your very own iconic James Bond Aston Martin DB5? Well now you can.
UK based Aston Martin specialists RS Williams have now put the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 on the market for £3million – describing it as ‘the most famous car in the world’.
This makes it one of the most expensive movie cars of all time and almost ten-times the price of a standard DB5.
Under the bonnet of the DB5 is a 4-litre engine which develops around 280bhp – giving the British sports car a top speed of 150mph.
But next to the impressive 1960s sports car performance and beautiful design, it is the car’s gadgets and history which have upped its value.
- The car boasts revolving number plates, two imitation machine guns, a bulletproof screen to cover the rear window and a radar device built into the dashboard.
- Its front and rear bumpers also extend and there is a fitted smoke device to fend off villains.
- Many of the gadgets are operated at the flick of a switch via the arm console which opens up to reveal a control panel.
The DB5 was the first ever Aston Martin to feature in a Bond film – 1964’s Goldfinger – and was the start of the iconic partnership that spanned 11 Bond films and 50 years of cinema history.
This particular car never appeared on the big screen but was one of two cars used for promotional purposes – touring the USA in 1965 for the release of Thunderball.
It is regarded as one of the four ‘legitimate’ James Bond Aston Martin DB5 cars – and was one of two to have all the gadgets fitted at the time it was built.
The main car used in Goldfinger and Thunderball films mysteriously vanishing from a Florida aircraft hangar in the 1990s – making this model the only remaining DB5 with original gadgets.
In 2010 the other car used in Goldfinger sold for £2.9 million at RM Auctions’ Battersea sale – although all of the car’s gadgets were retrofitted following the film series’ success.
Richard Williams, who runs RS Williams, said:
‘We are privileged to offer one of the original James Bond DB5s. It is the most famous car in the world and is a very sought-after model which you get a lot of pleasure from driving. Aston Martin built four models and the most important model was stolen with nobody knowing its whereabouts. This is the joint second most important as it was built with all the gadgets. It is in superb condition and is a great investment. There has been a huge amount of interest in it from all around the world.’
HOW THE JAMES BOND ASTON MARTIN DB5 MEASURES UP
THE 1965 ASTON MARTIN DB5
- Top speed: 150mph
- Engine size: 4-litre with around 280bhp
- Rarity: One of only four in the world built for the Goldfinger and Thunderball films. One of two to be kitted out with gadgets at the time of being built.
- Gadgets: Revolving licence plates which can change to British, French and Swiss plates, passenger ejector seat, radar, hidden car phone, smoke and oil blaster, an anti-bullet vertical screen system, bumper extensions and a tyre-shredder
- Number of Machine guns: Two (hidden behind the front indicator lights)
- Estimated worth: £3 million – ten times the cost of a regular DB5
Source: UK Daily Mail
Click Here to visit the RS Williams website to see more on the James Bond Aston Martin DB5.